Review of Boots Electronic Allergy Relief Device

Written by Karen Bryan

boots electronic allergy relief deviceI suffered from some rather intense bouts of hay fever  in late June and early July 2014. I found that the usual one a day antihistamine tablet wasn’t having the desired effect. This, in addition to the fact that even an anti-drowsiness antihistamine makes me feel dopey, prompted me into looking at other possible remedies.

I read up on light therapy, where a low-level red light is emitted to reduce the sensitivity of the nose. At first, I was rather sceptical. However, the Boots Electronic Allergy Relief Device scored 3.8 out of 5 in reviews, it cost £15 and had a two-year guarantee.

I had a ‘£1 off when you spend £5 on healthcare vouchers’, one of the offers when I scanned my Boots Loyalty Card at the in-store kiosk, which reduced the price for the device to £14.

I found it quite uncomfortable the first time I stuck the prongs up my nostrils for four minutes, but I soon got used to it. My husband said I looked like Rudolph the reindeer with my shining red nose.

I stuck to the recommendation of carrying out the treatment two or three times a day.

I found the device to be pretty heavy on batteries. It uses two CR 2032 3v lithium batteries. Four batteries were included with the device.  They were all dead after two weeks of  usage. My husband found 10 Eunicell batteries for £1.50 including postage on Amazon. These batteries lasted around 50% longer than as the batteries which came with the device.

Now, without having a control, it’s really hard to state conclusively that the Boots Electronic Allergy Relief Device was effective. However, I didn’t take antihistamines after buying the device, I only needed to use Beconase hayfever relief nasal spray occasionally. However, that could have been because the peak of the hay fever season was over by the time I started using the device in mid July.